Dc Metro Area Dubs!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gti VR6 engine woes

3 posters

Go down

Gti VR6 engine woes Empty Gti VR6 engine woes

Post  Gti202 Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:34 pm

My engine is shot in my 98 Gti Vr6.. Needs an overhaul with lifters, etc. Gonna cost $2300 to fix. Is it worth it to get done? The mechanic says its a great car and he thinks it would be worth fixing.. but i really want a jeep wrangler. Thoughts?

How much do you think I can get for it without the engine repair? The body is about a 7 out of 10 with a dent in the bumper and some minor blemishes.

Gti202

Rides! : 98 GTi VR6

Back to top Go down

Gti VR6 engine woes Empty Hello

Post  Admin Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:50 pm

Gti202 wrote:My engine is shot in my 98 Gti Vr6.. Needs an overhaul with lifters, etc. Gonna cost $2300 to fix. Is it worth it to get done? The mechanic says its a great car and he thinks it would be worth fixing.. but i really want a jeep wrangler. Thoughts?

How much do you think I can get for it without the engine repair? The body is about a 7 out of 10 with a dent in the bumper and some minor blemishes.

This question is really a though one. For me it would depend on alot of factors. Primary thing is car note. Would buying the jeep make you have a car note, and are you ok with that? Then I would ask myself if 2300 was more than kbb says my car is worth. Also if you found a rear ended or really busted car with a good donor engine for cheap. The last would be are you willing to do the work yourself. 2300 sounds like alot of money. if you figure out how much they are charging for parts vs labor that might help your decision. Either way its a tough choice! Whatever you decide make sure its what you really want! cheers! keep on dubbin!

Admin
Admin

https://metrodubs.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Gti VR6 engine woes Empty Well...

Post  noddaz Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:13 pm

It is all in what you want.
But a few points of note.
1)The car is only worth a few hundred dollars with a bad engine.
(I paid $250 for my 97 Jetta 8v that needed a clutch. I realize that a GTi VR6 would be worth more, but it is also more expensive to repair.)
2)If you spend $2300 to replace the engine the car may be worth $3000 to $4000.
(don't flame me, just a rough guess from watching Dub prices)
3)Decide if replacing the engine to get more money for the car is worth the effort to you.
But what ever you decide to do, enjoy your Jeep you plan on getting.
One question, is the car black?

noddaz

Rides! : 86 GTi 97 Jetta GT

Back to top Go down

Gti VR6 engine woes Empty Re: Gti VR6 engine woes

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum